Monday 14 December 2009

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

The social groups used in my magazine are mainly young adults 18-25. The images used are of a 18 year female and a 21 year male. Females are under-represented in techno music and whilst there is a rise in the popularity of acts such as Lady GaGa, I thought creating a article about a made up female artist would reflect this rise in popularity.

The music artist I wrote the article about talks about her music, her fears surrounding it and her hopes too. This is the same way that any other article would approach representing her.
I have represented the "techno/trance/electronica" scene in positive light as they would be an audience I would target if this magazine were on sale. being nice to people is a very effective way of selling copies.

According to a questionairre i carried out, when asked what social groups were misrepresented in dance magazines, the reply was (survey of 30 people through paper based questionairre):




(Results: Women 23, Men 2, Blacks 3, Whites 1, Other 3)
Clearly, the vast majority of people thought women were misrepresented in dance magazines. This seemed to be, not because women weren't mentioned in them, but shown as the people "on the dancefloor", rather than highlighting the talented female musicians of this genre. I decided to represent a female from the outset from my own view of dance magazines misrepresentation, and this questionairre backed my work up.

No comments:

Post a Comment